Saturday, June 14, 2008

Roasting Deer

Sounds like a strange title for me. Let me explain a bit. My plan today was to go to bible study then take the kids to a park and have lunch and play around since we'd be out anyway. Good plan. While I was talking to the ladies at church about different things I'd like to do this summer and what I was doing after class someone mentioned that we should go to the park up the hill. No, I said we're going to go on base, they have lots of nice parks(playgrounds) there. Then I decided that sounded boring, who wants to go to a playground when you could go somewhere to explore! So up the hill we go. Usually when we go to this park we go hiking-that's not on the schedule today- so we eat our lunch in a camping area(no campers) and I tell the children they are free to play as long as I can see them. They start building 'fires' in the pits and hunting in the woods. They designate #3 to kill the deer and then the others roast it. Grandpa Tony, they ate the deer fur and all-I told them that they'd have to talk to you about how to dress a deer.
They found big stick that made good bows, tromped up and down the hillside inspected all the moss and fruits that have fallen from the trees and let there imaginations guide them.
This was so much more fun then climbing on play equipment and sliding down slides. Here there were built in slides when the hillside is covered in fallen leaves! #4 had his share of falls-he begin to have fun with it! Although if he was going a big distance he'd ask to hold my hand.
It was a good day-tiring but a good reminder of all the things that this area has to offer us and not to get stuck in a rut of the same ole easy stuff.
Btw, we don't really have deer in Hawaii(I believe they have been introduced but I have never seen one) so I'm not sure why they thought to pretend about deer today. Find that quite interesting!

No comments: