Saturday, September 15, 2012

50 Days of Prayer

A friend of mine contacted me last week and asked if I would like to join her in praying for our nation before the upcoming elections in November.  I'd like to ask you to consider this as well.  We should always be praying for our country.
1 Timothy 2:1-2  I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.
Praying isn't political, it's what we are called to do, whether you like who is representing our country or you don't(and if you don't agree with someone, maybe you should be praying for them more, that they gain wisdom from above and have a heart that the Lord can touch).
My friend and I both have some material from a bible study we were part of in Hawaii(PWOC) in which we did a 50 days of prayer around Easter time.  These prayers were taken from Pray for our Nation(Tulsa: Harrison House Publishers, copyright 1999)This was back in 2006 and I have pulled these papers out different times over the years as I've felt called to.  Sometimes we know we should prayer but we can't think about the specifics, so it's nice to have a subject in front of us to focus on.  If you are on facebook with me I intend to post idea of things to pray about each day. You can also find some information through Pray for our nation-if you connect through fb they have some prayers almost daily and also sale an ebook. * disclaimer: I have not read this book, so can't say anything about content.   National Day of Prayer has some resources to share as well.  I also have an ebook I printed out which I've been unable to find online so I'm not sure if it is still available.  Practical Praying for Days of Conflict, it was written by Lorrie Pies who was a military spouse.  She passed away in 2008.  It's summary is: 30 ways to pray for military families and those who have loved ones in the Armed Services serving in difficult situations and deployments.
Most of the things I have found online cost money to buy and if this is something you can't do at this time I want you to remember this:  Prayer comes from your heart and doesn't need fancy wording or books or guides.  God knows your heart, you just need to take the time to talk to him and say what is on your mind.  If you feel called to pray please listen to that calling, deepen your relationship with the Lord as you take the time to communicate with your Heavenly Father.  Step out in faith and for our nation and if you need to talk to someone and to be accountable to each other about praying you can or better yet pray together.  Matthew 18:20 For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them.”

We will be starting our 50 Days of Prayer Monday, September 17.

No comments: